Ya’ll, I just blogged a couple of days ago about how beautiful our sunflowers are, and how wonderful it’s been for my photography as well as for the boys to see how a rather large plant grows from a rather large seed.
But BHE had other motives for growing the flowers…the seeds are quite tasty.
WordPress didn’t work the pics like I wanted, so:
1. On the flower, you know the seeds are getting ready when you get some black stripes on the seeds, which before were just white. We still had green leaves behind this – I think we might have picked the flower a tad too soon. Not sure on that, but research on the ‘net mentioned the leaves turning brown.
2. BHE getting the seeds out.
3. We got a lot of seeds out of that one flower.
4. Put them in a 300F oven for about 30 minutes, until they are brown. In hindsight, I probably should have stirred these around about midway through to allow for more even roasting.
5. Roasted sunflower seeds!
6. Elvis the gecko was not amused that his nighttime snack – mango – was interrupted by our late-night roasting.